Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Granddaddy

Since our blog is our family scrapbook, I wanted to write a little about my Granddaddy. Hopefully, our kids will read our scrapbooks when they are older and since they won't know Granddaddy, they can read a little about him here :)

Some of my favorite memories of Granddaddy are:

1) WATERMELON!!! He loved them...and so do I! We ate countless watermelons on the picnic table in their backyard in Port Neches.

2) Their backyard. Granddaddy and Grandmother had a big, beautiful yard. Granddaddy always had it manicured like a professional. All of the grandkids would play for hours outside...volleyball, chase, hide and go seek, riding bikes, picking up pecans with the pecan-picker-upper, swinging on the back porch swing, playing in the pine straw around the trees, jumping on the pogo stick.

3) His garden. Granddaddy had the touch when it came to plants and his garden. He would always have a large garden with all kinds of vegetables.

4) His snore. He had a snore that could shake the windows! Seriously. I remember laying in the front bedroom at their house, wide awake and laughing till we (me and Jenny) cried over Granddaddy's snore that was so loud and strange, it just HAD to be fake!

5) His false teeth :) Granddaddy came from the old school of dentistry where they pulled all your teeth out and gave you fake ones! He liked to stick them out at us grandkids to make us laugh.

6) His sense of humor. Granddaddy loved to make people laugh! If he said or did something that made you laugh, he would keep on going as long as you continued. He was silly :)

7) He loved the Lord. He and my grandmother were Catholic until I think around the time I was born. They went to Cathedral in the Pines from then until they moved to Lake Jackson last year. He had a servant heart and loved to be an usher at his church. His favorite scripture was Psalms 103...it's a good one.

8) He was a hard worker and took care of his family. He and grandmother raised 6 kids who went on to give them 21 grandkids...and 4 great-grandkids to date, with another on the way :) and many more to come. Here are some of us:

There were all of us plus a bunch more at his funeral. This was after the memorial service at Cathedral Let's play "Where's Ryan?" He's in the picture but all you can see is his leg...

9) He served his country in the Navy during World War II.

10) He took me crabbing. I always remember that for some reason. It was so fun! We got chicken necks and went down by Rainbow Bridge and caught some crabs. A unique experience.

11) He loved to camp and travel.

I know I already put this on here but I love this picture :) It makes me smile. I am so glad that he got a chance to meet Ryan. I know Granddaddy knew exactly who Ryan was and he enjoyed his visit with him. We will visit again one day...it will be a long visit :)

2 comments: