Sunday, May 8, 2011

The world

I normally write on here about day to day things going on with our little family. But since this is really a memory book in the making for us, I wanted to write about a few things that have been going on in the world lately....there has been alot.

1) The 9.0 Japanese earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster.  What a devastating thing for that country!  There are more than 14,000 killed at this time with many more missing. They are expecting the death toll to reach 20,000. History will tell the long term effects from the nuclear power plant melt down.  Lord have mercy on them.  One thing, that sticks out in my mind about this is how the Japanese people took care of each other and their families.  There was no looting.  People respect each other.   According to a study, 64% of Japanese people don't believe in God and 70% of their people don't have any religious affiliation. Makes me think about our "Christian" country and all the looting that took place in New Orleans and lots of other times when there is a disaster.  I remember hearing someone in Japan saying "that is not the kind of people that we are" when asked about the lack of looting. What does that say about us?! Here are a couple pictures of the tsunami damage:


2) The horrible tornadoes in Alabama, Arkansas, etc. At least one of the tornadoes was an estimated 1 mile wide....that is amazing. I think the death toll is in the upper 300s now. 



3) The death of Osama bin Laden.  I won't do him the honor of a picture.  As anyone who was alive and watching the horror of September 11, 2001, I am thankful that we finally got him. Now his judgment is up to the Lord. 

4) On a MUCH, much lighter note, the royal wedding between Prince William and Catherine Middleton.  I was a little interested in the wedding leading up to it and dvr'd the wedding so I wouldn't have to get up at 3 a.m. to watch it...but then I got a little obsessed with it!  Michael bought me a TIME magazine about it and I bought another mag too...a little over kill, I agree.  (If we have a baby girl at some point, she might be a little interested in it someday...if not, it will be all for my pleasure I guess!) It is refreshing to see them  and how you can tell they are truly in love.  I pray that they have a long and HAPPY life together!



There is plenty more going on but those are just some highlights...

No comments:

Post a Comment