Friday, March 4, 2011

2 weekends=2 camping trips

We had not been camping since November so we were really ready to go! Michael says "I miss the trailer" all the time....like it's a person or something :)

2 weekends ago we went to Hen House Ridge with our neighbors/friends the Dillons. They just got a trailer so they had never been camping before. We had a good time just hanging out and being outside.

I like this picture...it looks like "grrrrr...don't mess with me!"
On Saturday morning, we went to the ranger station and they had a class to make old timey toys. We didn't really make any though...the ranger lady mostly showed us old toys and how people used to make them with stuff they had around the house. Michael remembered this toy that his grandpa showed him how to make:

One of my favorite things about Hen House Ridge is taking walks:
Love this picture of Michael and Ryan:
This past weekend, we stayed in Spring, TX. The main event of the weekend was the 175th anniversary of Texas at Washington on the Brazos State Park. It was very interesting! I had no idea what to expect but there were a TON of people! It was a huge deal!

There were lots of people dressed up in clothes of that time, tents set up like they would have been then, etc. Here are some pictures of our day:


Ryan is NOT a big fan of animals right now. They had a house set up like it would have been back then and they had pigs, chickens, etc. This was Ryan face as he was looking at the chickens:
He is NOT too sure about them.

At the camp ground there were a few horses behind a fence. We went over to see them and one of them came right over to us...very friendly! Ryan started screaming! Poor baby. We got him away from the horse and he calmed down. I took a couple steps closer to the horse and Ryan was holding on for dear life. I told him we didn't have to go any closer and we just looked at the horse and Ryan started waving at him :)

Here are some more pictures:
(I was cracking up at this pig. She did NOT seem very happy that her piglets wanted to nurse!
She kept using her front foot to fling hay and dirt all over them...come to think of it, maybe that's her way of saying I love you!)
The guy below was a cowboy poet! He was really good! I think this was taken at the time he was reciting his poem "Momma's biscuits".
We had a great time and I am so glad that we went! Michael mentioned how weird it is that when Texas has it's 200 anniversary, we could be there with Ryan and HIS kids...can't even imagine that!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I luuh-uvvv the chicken face! Too funny. And I luh-uuvv that you've been camping more than me this year! Katie, who knew you'd turn out to be such a wilderness girl! You make me so proud....in more than one way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete