Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 5, 2012--my 34th birthday!

I love birthday week!  It's kinda fun to have a birthday 10 days after Christmas because when Christmas is over, I have something to look forward to :)

I had my first celebration on our camping trip.  On Tuesday I was off of work, so Ryan and I went to see my friend, Carrie, and her new baby boy, Blake!  He is precious!  Ryan was really sweet with him.  He patted him softly and said "soft" :)
I went back to work on Wednesday and my birthday was on Thursday.  I woke up to this drawing by my coffee pot:
Jenny took me to lunch at our favorite Mexican joint. Yummy!

The three of us went to eat at Carrabba's for dinner.  Always so good! My birthday dates:

Our family picture:

We decided to go to Galveston Friday night. Ryan had never been on the ferry before and he did not like it at first! 
He got a little used to it by the end of the ride but still seemed uneasy. 

We ate dinner at our favorite place The Spot.  It was Ryan's first time there:

We stayed at the Harbor House down by The Strand and it is right on the water. We LOVED staying there!  We had a corner room and were right on the water so we got to watch all of the boats go right by our room!  It was really fun! We slept with the curtains open because I wanted to be able to look outside if I woke up.  There was a full moon and it was beautiful! 

When I woke up about 7 the next morning, I glanced out of the window and saw this:




It was the coolest thing! It was sitting still, turning in a circle to get in the correct position to dock.  We saw all the people out on their balcony and doing their morning jog around the track on the top deck.  Ryan really loved watching all of it too.

This is a picture of our hotel.  We were on the third floor in the corner room:

This is the view out of our window of the cruise ship and the Elissa...a sailboat from 1877. 

We were a block from The Strand so we walked and shopped a little.  At the end of the street is the Railroad Museum.  Since Ryan is so into trains we thought he would like this.

The museum was badly damaged during Hurricane Ike due to standing toxic salt water.  The water was 5-6 feet deep in the lobby of the museum.  This blue tape shows how high it was on the trains:
Michael's grandpa brought him to this museum when he was 12 and Michael said he has good memories of it.  It was kind of sad to see how dilapidated some of the trains were.  Apparently, there were several large exhibits at the hotel and those were all destroyed. 

The lobby of the museum was beautiful!

They have life size "people" in the lobby that represent "the ghost of travelers past".  Ryan held one of their hands:
We went of a short train ride that they offer at the museum.  Ryan did not like it!  Too bumpy, loud and scary.
We ate lunch on the seawall:
and shopped at Murdochs:
Ryan wasn't scared on the ferry ride back.  He sat on the center console and enjoyed the ride:
The January weather was very unseasonable.  There were people on the beach in their bathing suits and people in the water.  It was actually very enjoyable...even though under normal circumstances, I would have been mad about the spring weather!  We had a perfect trip :)

My birthday continued until the following Tuesday, when Alecia took me to dinner.  I love birthdays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment